Subject: Re: [boost] [1.39.0] Beta candidate
From: Ruediger Berlich (ruediger.berlich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-25 14:56:19

Hi there,

On a vanilla OpenSUSE 11.1, 64 bit, g++ 4.3.2 installation:
- ran the bootstrap script (o.k.)
- Adjusted project-config.jam: removed the lines after option.set prefix,
and set the prefix to /opt/boost139
- ran "./bjam -j 4" (this is a 4-core machine) . Note: There was a long list
of warnings -- too many to list here. I'd be happy to send interested
parties the compilation output
- ran "bjam install" (o.k.)
- Tried to compile my rather complex and heavily Boost-based library with
it.
  o Had to modify my top-level CMakeLists.txt file with
    'SET (Boost_ADDITIONAL_VERSIONS "1.39" "1.39.0")', as the cmake 2.6.3
     FindBoost.cmake module does not know about Boost 1.39 yet.
  o Added the threadpool.sf.net threadpool library to Boost, as this is
    needed by my application
  o Compilation happened in DEBUG mode - many additional checks are then
    added to the code.
  o Used the "-Wall -Wno-unused -ansi -pthread" flags
  o Compilation of my application succeeded without warnings
  o Unit tests report no errors
  o *** every application based on my library that I tried does its job, but
    segfaults upon exit *** This is something I had observed last with Boost
    1.36 and which at that time could be traced back to a problem in the
    serialization library. I haven't had time to search for the cause of the
    problem this time yet. The code runs fine with Boost 1.38 . I have
    verified (using "ldd") that the segfaulting applications are linked only
    to Boost 1.39 libraries. I am also sure that I'm using the correct Boost
    headers, as my headers specifically ask for the BOOST version to be >=
    103900 (through a global define which I have adjusted accordingly).

My application uses the date_time, system, thread, serialization,
program_options and test_exec_monitor libraries, and of course a number of
header-only libraries (shared_ptr, lexical_cast, cstdint, ...).

Best Regards,
Ruediger