Subject: Re: [boost] discussion of garbage collection in C++
From: Achilleas Margaritis (axilmar_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-27 06:41:05

"Kasra" <kasra_n500_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> Edward Diener wrote:
>>Also, for people looking for a runtime envrironment for C++, they can look
>> >at Ch.
>
> Or CERN.ROOT.CINT project.
>
> Either way we are looking at GC in C++ from the wrong direction. I like to
> know and be able to determine where the memory allocation deallocation
> occurs. When the constructor and destructor is called using RAII, however,
> this doesn't mean I shouldn't use GC.
>
> GC is supposed to release unused memory, not to call the destructors of
> objects; although it does on most implementations.

It is quite possible to invoke destructors of objects in a deterministic way
when finalizing gc objects, except when cycles are involved. The test code I
have uploaded in boost.vault does exactly that.

The direct download link is:

http://www.boostpro.com/vault/index.php?action=downloadfile&filename=gc1.zip&directory=Memory&

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4036 (20090427) __________

http://www.eset.com