Subject: Re: [boost] [1.40.0] OK to build release?
From: Daniel James (daniel_james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-01 14:38:37

2009/5/1 Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]>:

>> I've got a couple of changes that I'd like to merge:
>>
>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/52665/trunk
>
> This change removes the google analytics from the pre-built
> docs. I could see doing this.  It does have the potential for
> making the release manager's life a little more painful.

In case you didn't know, I manage the documentation. If you look in
the archives you'll find that I'm going to work on a longer term
solution. I've been emailled the necessary doxygen files of list, but
it'll take me a little while to get them working and in place.

> The
> REAL fix is to boost documentation build upto snuff so
> that the user could be confident that he can build the docs
> on sight.  For uses who can't do this, the docs could be
> provided as a separate download.

This documentation isn't part of the documentation build.

>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/52674/trunk
>
> This changes code that is subject to testing.
> To merge a change like this which hasn't been tested against
> the release branch would seem to me to be a really bad idea.
> What is the downside of not including this for a few months
> until the next release?

Poor performance if more than about 2 millions elements are in an
unordered container. It isn't a show stopper but the change isn't at
all disruptive and it's certainly correct. It won't affect any other
libraries. I certainly wouldn't change hash at this point.

Daniel