Subject: Re: [boost] [1.40.0] OK to build release?
From: Daniel James (daniel_james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-08 03:25:57

2009/5/8 Vladimir Prus <vladimir_at_[hidden]>:

> I have said, it should not require more that (1) downloadining
> current packages (2) replacing a single file (3) uploading new
> ones.
>
> While (3) is messy with sourceforge, it's probably about 10 mins
> overall.

There's a little more to it than that. I'll need release notes (just a
paragraph in plain text would do) for the release so I can put the
announcement on the website. The version number appears in the source
in a few places. So that should probably be updated as well, the
details are at:

https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/ReleasePractices/ManagerCheckList

(the whole page should really be reviewed - I might have missed something out).

It would be better if the release scripts were used, although I think
they're hardcoded to use the release branch.

If they are used then I'll need to set up the files that are
downloaded by the release script (that won't take long, once I've been
given the release notes).

If they aren't used then README.txt will need to be updated as well
(it's normally generated as part of the release process).

Also, once it's all finished, Beman or Rene will need to upload the
zipfile to the server. Since the documentation should be almost
identical to 1.39.0, that doesn't have to be done immediately.

We should also try to get people to try out the build system on as
many platforms as possible before finalizing the release.

Daniel