Subject: Re: [boost] [1.40.0] OK to build release?
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-11 12:38:25

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 6:46 AM, Vladimir Prus <vladimir_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
>
>> There has been little feedback on the 1.40.0 beta release. I'm hoping
>> that is a good sign:-)
>
> Or users just don't do anything until it's really-really-final tarball :-(

Yes, that's a definite problem.

Perhaps we might start a list of people willing to install beta's
and/or release candidates and report back either success or failure.
Come to think of it, perhaps we could write a script to do that, at
least for Windows, Linux, and Apple.

> We've just got a bug report on boost-users:
>
>        http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.user/47346
>
> that say that install, on Linux, does not work, unless you specify --libdir
> option explicitly. 'stage' is not affected.
>
> I am very sorry for letting this slip, but the question is what to do now. I've
> already fixed the problem on trunk:
>
>        https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/52754
>
> How do we make this available to users?
>
> 1. Is release branch open now for all commits?
>
> 2. It is desirable to create new set of packages, with fixed
> version of bootstrap.sh? Alternatively, should it be in some
> 'hot-fix' area?

I'm not sure the best solution. A point release is a possibility.
Let's try to figure out the best approach.

--Beman