Subject: Re: [boost] trunk vs release
From: troy d. straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-21 11:19:22

Daniel James wrote:
> 2009/5/21 troy d. straszheim <troy_at_[hidden]>:
>> Okay, but with the current trunk, you're regression testing a lot
>> of cruft that has been sitting there ignored for years.
>
> Whatever branching scheme you use, unmaintained code will still be
> unmaintained.

That's true of course. And of course this has little to do with the
practice of repeatedly testing and 'merging around' unmaintained,
unreleased code.

>> How about regression-testing a codebase that has a fighting chance
>> of actually becoming a release?
>
> Boost is a volunteer organisation.

You're stating the obvious; sorry if I'm irritating you. (BTW I
didn't mean "you" above when I said "you're regression testing"). I'm
just being careful, trying to establish how much of this is by design,
and how much has just 'evolved' on its own...

> In order for something to happen that effects everyone, someone has
> to make a proposal, convince people (I'm not sure exactly who) to go
> along with it, deal with whatever issues there are and put it into
> action. And in this case, nobody has.

... and now I have my answer. Thanks.

-t