Subject: Re: [boost] trunk vs release
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-21 11:54:31

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 8:23 AM, troy d. straszheim <troy_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Poking around it looks like the current release branch was created
> from the fixed 1.34.1 tag in oct 2007 (@ r40341).  The 1.34.1 release was in
> turn branched from...   looks like that goes back into the days of CVS, I'll
> consider it lost.   Git maintains that the last common commit between the
> current trunk and release branches is > 3 years ago:
>
> http://gitorious.org/boost/svn/commit/4914d4934fbc7368e2d43e057f6fffdac0f46489

That sounds about right. From 1.35.0 on we start each release on the
previous release rather than trunk, so there is no longer any need to
create a new branch from trunk for every release.

> So if the trunk is really just a staging area for merges to release, does
> the notion of having the release branch and trunk 'in sync' at this point
> make any sense?

I don't think so. For individual libraries, trunk and branches/release
will be sometimes or even often be in sync, but as boost grows it no
longer makes sense for the entire trunk to be in sync with
branches/release.

>Why have just one such staging area?

In one sense, we already have multiple "staging areas" in branches for
individual libraries. But trunk provides a single agreed upon place to
regression test.

--Beman