Subject: [boost] trunk vs release
From: troy d. straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-21 08:23:46

 From another thread:

Steven Watanabe wrote:
> AMDG
>
> troy d. straszheim wrote:
>> I've been wondering a bit about this in-syncness recently.
>>
>> - Does anybody know offhand what the last release was that was
>> branched directly from trunk?
>>
>> - Is there a way to determine, with SVN, how many lines of diff
>> there are between trunk and release? I've tried without
>> success.... the diff gets to ~80k lines and then the network times
>> out. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Of course I can get
>> some numbers with git but I'm not quite sure I trust them yet.
>>
>> % git diff --shortstat svn/release svn/master 3505 files changed,
>> 209061 insertions(+), 58428 deletions(-)
>
> This is probably correct as far as it goes. However, it's hard to
> tell how much it really means. About half the modified files seem to
> be generated html, judging by the output of
>
> svn diff https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/branches/release
> https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk --summarize

Hm, that svn command isn't very helpful and runs for ~5 minutes. I'm
seeing about 160k lines total changed in actual code (.cpp, .ipp, .hpp).
  Full report in case anybody is interested:

   http://sodium.resophonic.com/trunk_vs_release.txt

Poking around it looks like the current release branch was created
from the fixed 1.34.1 tag in oct 2007 (@ r40341). The 1.34.1 release
was in turn branched from... looks like that goes back into the days
of CVS, I'll consider it lost. Git maintains that the last common
commit between the current trunk and release branches is > 3 years ago:

http://gitorious.org/boost/svn/commit/4914d4934fbc7368e2d43e057f6fffdac0f46489

So if the trunk is really just a staging area for merges to release,
does the notion of having the release branch and trunk 'in sync' at this
point make any sense? Why have just one such staging area?

-t