Subject: Re: [boost] trunk vs release
From: troy d. straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-21 12:47:12

Vladimir Prus wrote:

> FWIW, I expect Boost.Build mechanisms to be implemented shortly. However,
> to be fully sensible, it will require change of layout of libraries in SVN --
> otherwise we'll end up in a situation currently with CMake -- where there's
> 'modularize' command which changes directory layout to be different from
> that in SVN -- which is not a good idea in general.

But we can easily agree on what that layout should look like, and switch
both build systems simultaneously, right? Then we can do away with the
'modularize' business. Let's do it!

Hm, wait:

1. those who develop against checkouts of boost (not installed
versions) will need to define just what boost components they need. It
could get messy, but it has to be done.

2. We'll have duplicated dependency information (see
libs/*/module.cmake... presumably there will be some analogue on the
boost.build side)

3. We've said nothing about defining version-specific dependencies
(boost.spirit v.X depends on boost.proto >= v.Y)

Just thinking out loud,

-t