Subject: Re: [boost] trunk vs release
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-21 14:35:34

Stefan Seefeld wrote:

> Vladimir Prus wrote:
>>
>>> I don't quite agree. Assuming I have boost version N installed on my
>>> system (no matter by what means), I may want to test a given library
>>> (from whatever branch) against the installed system, not necessarily a
>>> working copy of a whole boost tree.
>>>

>> Can you explain why -- as in specific use cases? Especially given the
>> lack of source- and binary- compatibility guarantees.
>>

> May be that's precisely what I want to test. :-)
> Seriously, if I'm working on a boost library, I may want to test against
> different versions of boost (requisite libs).

Why? I assume not out of mere curiosity, but because you assume some
users will use mixed Boost, and then we're back to the question why
they might want to do that. It might be theoretically good for the case
when library X is know to be broken in 1.N+1 and library Y is known
to have some cool features, so you get 1.N of everything and 1.N+1 version
of Y, but is that the only use case you have in mind? It seems that
for pretty much every project, especially open source, getting a coherent
set of components is considerably less risky than mixing different versions.

- Volodya