Subject: [boost] The Boost Bug Sprint is coming!!
From: Marshall Clow (marshall_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-21 23:48:12

The boost bug sprint is coming! It starts next Friday, May 28th, and
runs through Sunday June 7th.

The goal is to address a large number of open bugs/patches/feature
requests in the trac system at <http://svn.boost.org>. There are
currently 795 open tickets; we'd like to knock that number down _a
lot_.

What can you do?

1) You can fix bugs.
* If you are a library author, you can commit your fixes. ;-)
* If you are not a library author, you can fix a problem on your
local machine (and test it!!), and then attach your fix as a patch to
the Trac ticket for the library author to commit. If you do this,
please provide a test case that exercises the problem; i.e, one that
fails w/o your patch, and succeeds afterwards.

2) You can characterize bugs.
* You can attempt to replicate the bug on your system(s), and attach
information that you discover to the Trac ticket. This will make it
easier for other people to solve the problem, even if you cannot.
* You can write test cases demonstrating the problem, and attach them
to the Trac ticket.
* You can determine if the bug still exists; sometimes they get
fixed, and the ticket never gets closed.

3) You can test patches.
* Some of the tickets in the trac system contain patches - some are
quite old. You can install these patches on your system, and
determine if they (a) build, and (b) work.
* You can write test cases for the patches, and attach them to the ticket.

4) You can help implement new features.
* There are a whole set of "feature requests" in the Trac system. If
you have an idea about one of these, you can add comments to the trac
system. You can attempt to implement these new features, and attach
the patch to the ticket. (Don't forget the test cases!!).

Every day during the bug sprint, I'll post the # of tickets
modified/closed/opened on the previous day, as well as the total
number of open tickets.

--------- Sign-up sheet --------
The following people have committed to participate in the bug sprint.
Please add you name here, along with what you can do.
1) Marshall Clow (coordination, Mac OS X characterization)
2) Beman Dawes (filesystem, system, timer)
3) Doug Gregor (function, graph, logic, mpi, numeric, property_map, signals)

--
-- Marshall
Marshall Clow     Idio Software   <mailto:marshall_at_[hidden]>