Subject: Re: [boost] [Modularization] A new approach to header modularization
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-28 05:35:56

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 01:06:47PM -0400, Beman Dawes wrote:
> Unless I'm missing something, this is the only approach that appears to
> do fairly well for all of the Goals/Objectives/Needs/Wants, and very
> well for most of them. It would require some rework of scripts and other
> setups that depend on the current organization of libs/..., but that
> seems minor compared to the long-term benefits.
>
> Comments?

I wouldn't be surprised if the following installation procedure was
common among users of the library:

bjam stage to target/lib
copy boost-1.xx.y/boost to target/include

With the proposed reorg, the resulting include dir would be full of
source and build gunk, and would force the builder to use `bjam install'
instead, which produces lots of bulky intermediaries and takes ages to
deploy the headers.

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden] | 070-310 47 07