Subject: Re: [boost] [task] - boost.task (replacement for boost.threadpool)
From: k-oli_at_[hidden]
Date: 2009-06-01 17:16:25

Am Montag 01 Juni 2009 21:11:17 schrieb Sohail Somani:
> k-oli_at_[hidden] wrote:
> > Hi,
> > boost vault (section 'Concurrent Programming' -
> > http://www.boostpro.com/vault/) contains boost.task.
> >
> > It replaces boost.threadpool and provides a framework for parallel
> > execution of tasks (launching task in the current thread, in a new
> > thread, as sub-task or in a pool of threads).
>
> Hi, colour me interested.
>
> What is the main benefit above the threadpool library? I presume the
> threadpool library you are talking about is http://threadpool.sf.net ?

No it is not the lib from http://threadpool.sf.net (I was refering to
boost.threadpool in the boost vault - > now replaced)!

The benefit above boost.threadpool is that boost.task implements the proposals
currently discussed on the mailing list from the C++ standard
committee's Library Working Group.

Another point is that you can execute your task by different async. executors
(which can be the default thread-pool, a customized thread-pool -> priority
scheduling, in a new created thread, as a sub-task or in a completly different
executor provided by yourself).

> It seems the only real difference is a future/handle which the above
> library also has in an experimental capacity.

AFAIK - the implementation from http://threadpool.sf.net doesn't provide a
working future implementation nor does is implement work-stealing (including
sub-tasking) or task interruption.
Boost.Task provides this functionality (it uses the future implementation from
Anthony Williams which will be part of boost soon).

Best regards,
Oliver