Subject: Re: [boost] boost::directx?
From: Christian Schladetsch (christian.schladetsch_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-08 07:15:29

Hi Kasra,

I have been following this thread but haven't really found the significance
> of boost::directx!

I apologise for not being clearer from the outset

If the purpose of the library is to create a comprehensive graphics library,
> choosing directx or infact any other API seems absurd.

I have repeatedly stated that the purpose of the proposed library is to help
people make performant applications using DirectX and C++.

I have repeatedly stated that I have no wish in (re-)virtualising hardware,
providing a generalised API, or arguing about OpenGL. I proposed the name to
be boost::directx because I am concerned about game developers that use C++,
DirectX, and boost. I am not interested in boost::graphics or similar
attempts at nightmare creation.

For example, ORGE is a graphics library that doesn't choose OpenGL over
> DirecX but provides a wrapping interface for a graphics library where this
> library's internal is OpenGL and DirectX depending on the platform.
>
> I just think if this library is going to established within boost, it
> requires a portable interface irrespective of the internals.

DirectX cannot be portable, outside of the muliple platforms that it already
supports: Xbox360 (native and XNA) and Windows, and WINE.

360 and Win32/64 are different platforms with two different API and kernels.

> With Best Regards
>
> --- Kasra Nassiri

Regards,
Christian