Subject: Re: [boost] boost::directx?
From: Christian Schladetsch (christian.schladetsch_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-09 05:15:59

Hi Carlos,

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 8:59 PM, Carlos Rafael Giani <
e0325834_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> joel wrote:
>
>> Make this some kind of boost::graphics, target both dx and ogl or w/e in a
>> seamless fashion, then you have something worthy.
>>

> This is commonly found in 3D graphics engines. However, a low level ogl/dx
> abstraction is time-consuming, and ultimately not worth it, because both
> APIs, while roughly equal, differ in many details, which sums up in a
> low-level abstraction that covers the lowest common denominator. It is
> better to abstract in a higher semantic level, however this is hard to
> accomplish as a general 3D rendering library (and probably not very useful,
> since rendering applications vary wildly in their feature requirements and
> applied techniques).

I have repeatedly stated my belief that it is futile, if not insane, to
attempt to make a system that uses either DirectX or OpenGL.

That is the reason that I explicitly suggested boost::directx, rather than
boost::killmenow.

> In short, even then we don't even have something useful for boost.

Perhaps. I only wished to raise the issue and provide some demo code. What
happens after that is up to the boost community.

Regards,
Christian.