Subject: Re: [boost] "boost cold shoulder" (was proposal for #pragma once support)
From: John Phillips (phillips_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-09 18:14:45

Pete Bartlett wrote:
>> I brought this topic up a couple of months ago, and I got the "Boost
>> Cold Shoulder".
>>
>> You see, I believe the head-honchos here are GCC aficionados and don't
>> care much about Bill Gate's compilers.
>>
>> I hope you do better than I did.
>>
>> -Sid Sacek
>
> I'm not any sort of honcho here so I hope you don't mind if I disagree.

   I'm going to disagree, as well. I just went back into the archives
and looked at your thread, and I'm confused by your perception of a cold
shoulder. I count 26 posts in the thread over less than 4 days, in a
discussion that includes some library maintainers and one of the
moderators. This a reasonably active discussion for around here.

   I agree that no one showed up and said "You have permission, go ahead
and do it." However, as Pete points out, that just isn't the way Boost
works. All broad action in Boost happens by first building a wide
consensus in the community. If you notice, when moderators such as Dave
  or Beman have ideas for changes, they follow the same process of
discussion on the list and building consensus. On some occasions they
don't generate enough interest or agreement and their ideas go by the
wayside. It isn't always quick, but it is the way Boost works.

   More broadly, please continue contributing. Not every idea you have
will be what the community does, but getting your ideas in the mix is
central to how we function. (For the record, some of my ideas have gone
down in flames, or just produced no broad interest, so I know where of I
speak.)

                        John