Subject: Re: [boost] SafeInt code proposal
From: Robert Kawulak (robert.kawulak_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-21 15:43:57

Hi Omer,

> the library should be platform independent

I've noticed that you make implicit assumptions in the code like:
- the number of bits in a byte is 8,
- signed integer types use 2's complement representation.
These assumptions are not true for all platforms, making your code not fully
portable and not standards-compliant. I realise that implementing the library
without such assumptions may be much more difficult, but if you decide to make
them, it is necessary to:
- describe them precisely in the documentation,
- add corresponding static asserts in the code to prevent people from using it
on unsupported platforms.

Apart from this, you should adhere to Boost coding conventions (see
http://www.boost.org/development/requirements.html for details).

That said, I think such a library would be a very useful addition to Boost, so I
hope all the problems will be solved and the code will be submitted for a
review. ;-)

Best regards,
Robert