Subject: Re: [boost] [xpressive] Performance Tuning?
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-07 17:43:49

Paul Baxter wrote:
> "Stewart, Robert" wrote:
>> Thorsten Ottosen wrote:
>>>
>>> It would be good if you could submit your code as a case in
>>> optimizing expressive code.
>>
>> Where and how would you have me do so? I can see developing a
>> performance tuning example from it to put in the documentation. I
>> don't know how much of that Eric has in mind already or if he is
>> interested in such an addition (of his own doing or mine).
>
> This has been an incredibly useful thread. Thanks to you all.
>
> As a potential user put off in the past by concerns over abstraction
> penalties with such libraries (even compile time libraries often fail to
> deliver in all but simple cases), I urge Eric to embrace such an example
> to illustrate just how powerful and maintainable a solution based on
> expressive can be.

I think this is a fine idea. All these tips and tricks are already
described in a doc, but they are not described in depth from an end-user
perspective. I think a performance tuning case study would make a
valuable appendix.

Robert, can you send me the latest version of your regex grammar and
your hand-coded parser? I'll see what I can do.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing