Subject: Re: [boost] "I want everything" should build "out of the box" (on Windows)
From: Juergen Hunold (juergen.hunold_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-28 10:26:10

Hi !

On Tuesday 28 July 2009, Christopher Jefferson wrote:
> On 28 Jul 2009, at 11:46, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> > Do you actually want Boost.MPI? I kinda expect anybody who wants to
> > use
> > Boost.MPI to already have MPI installed.
>
> Then, why not have boost try to detect MPI, and then build/install
> Boost.MPI in that case automatically?

Well, as usual: Patches welcome.
Creating a bulletproof autodetection system is not trivial. And requires
manpower no one has provided yet. But the need is growing since Boost is
getting more dependent on 3rdparty libs/tools like Expat/MPI.

> On Mac OS X, MPI is installed as a system library, yet I still have
> to document and describe the unusual procedure required to install
> boost.MPI to users. This single feature has left us close to dumping
> Boost.MPI in favour of another option.

Well, I just quote Dave: "Just a bunch of sources". Just add them to
your project/IDE/whatever and build the library yourself.
Been there, done that for Boost.Test on Windows.

Yours,

Jürgen

--
* Dipl.-Math. Jürgen Hunold       ! Ingenieurgesellschaft für
* voice: ++49 511 262926 57       ! Verkehrs- und Eisenbahnwesen mbH