Subject: Re: [boost] "I want everything" should build "out of the box" (on Windows)
From: OvermindDL1 (overminddl1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-28 10:45:23

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Juergen Hunold<juergen.hunold_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> On Tuesday 28 July 2009, Christopher Jefferson wrote:
>> On 28 Jul 2009, at 11:46, Vladimir Prus wrote:
>
>> > Do you actually want Boost.MPI? I kinda expect anybody who wants to
>> > use
>> > Boost.MPI to already have MPI installed.
>>
>> Then, why not have boost try to detect MPI, and then build/install
>> Boost.MPI in that case automatically?
>
> Well, as usual: Patches welcome.
> Creating a bulletproof autodetection system is not trivial. And requires
> manpower no one has provided yet. But the need is growing since Boost is
> getting more dependent on 3rdparty libs/tools like Expat/MPI.

I am curious, I know Expat is an XML parser or something like that,
but if those libraries that use it do not use features like DTD
verification and such, why not just make an XML parser in Spirit2.1,
it is certainly proven to be just about faster then anything else yet
tested.

Also, I have never used an MPI system, but from quick perusing of what
MPI based systems look like, why does Boost.MPI create a full MPI
system instead of just create a glue on top of it? Especially since
all the MPI system I see seem to cost a rather ridiculous amounts of
money? I am probably missing something about the MPI standard though,
but I do not see what from a quick reading that would warrant such
costs I see.