Subject: Re: [boost] Subversion upgrade on svn.boost.org
From: Daniel James (daniel_james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-28 11:28:01

2009/7/28 Juergen Hunold <juergen.hunold_at_[hidden]>:

> Please note that the mergeinfo from svnmerge.py is mostly broken due to
> lots of manual sub-tree merges. And we have to make sure everyone making
> merges uses svn-1.6. I recall that svn-1.5.5 (?) had some serious
> bugs...

I'm very aware of our problems with svnmerge.py. That's why I'd like
to have a discussion about how we'll go forward. But I think there are
some developers who strongly prefer manual merges so I don't know if
we can get everyone to follow the same merge procedure.

The svnmerge.py mergeinfo is still useful - while it has a lot of
untracked merges the tracked merges are correct. I use it to track
what I've already merged, although merging is still more manual than
it should be.

> And trunk and release a drifting apart quite fast. maybe a re-branch
> every couple of releases ?

That might be a good idea. We'd have to clean up trunk first. Most of
it is actually in a reasonable shape. I think the biggest problem is
new developments that aren't ready for release and have been
abandoned.

Daniel