Subject: Re: [boost] [C++0x] Report from Frankfurt committee meeting
From: Andrew Sutton (andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-11 14:09:05

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Raindog <raindog_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Joseph Gauterin wrote:
>
>> That's a pity - a lot of libraries could have greatly benefitted from
>> concepts. On the plus side, we really don't want to end up with a
>> repeat of the export debacle or similar.
>>

> I think it is a tragedy. While reading about why not to use C++, or STL, or
> Boost, the biggest issue I've seen recently is "template error messages are
> too large and meaningless". Bjarne has said that one C++0x's was to make it
> more user friendly, but it appears we will lose the biggest feature towards
> that goal.

Disappointing, but hardly tragic. It would have been tragic if the standard
adopted a definition of concepts that failed to improve support for generic
programming or made it worse worse. I think Doug Gregor - somewhere in the
comments here:
http://cpp-next.com/archive/2009/08/what-happened-in-frankfurt/ - summarizes
the problem nicely.

"What was missing from these discussions was the input of everyday
> programmers: we lacked enough usage experience with concepts to determine
> whether potential problems would affect real-world code, or how often these
> problems would occur".

Andrew Sutton
andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden]