Subject: Re: [boost] Arbitrary precision arithmetic
From: Stephen Nuchia (snuchia_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-17 18:57:12

I'm definitely interested in this field (a pun for those who care).
Most serious users though have no problem with the GNU license and a
whole lot of very good quality work goes into GMP. Like, on a scale
comparable to the entire boost effort.

I don't have a big appetite for investing in a lib that's just good
enough, when I could instead contribute to the one that does it best.
Not for my research work, anyway.

Boost should probably include something usable though, just like it
needs to include enough linear algebra infrastructure to handle common
tasks. Something comparable to the Java or .NET bignum support, enough
for basic crypto and the usual demo programs.

Duplicating GMP's production values would mean duplicating their
investment in platform-specific optimizations, something incompatible
with existing boost organization, practices, and personnel interests.

I don't see anything ambitious happening in this area, but I'm just an
interested observer. Others will likely have other views.

-swn