Subject: Re: [boost] [interprocess] Compile problem with 1.39 and trunk
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-26 13:09:37

Thomas Klimpel wrote:

> The article explains "copy elision" and RVO, and hence explains why taking argument by value is closely related to rvalue-ness.

Saying that perfect forwarding doesn't work because the compiler can't
do an optional copy elision anymore when you forward a value seems a bit
far-fatched, especially since the pattern where you can exploit it is
quite specific. (I've never found a reason to pass arguments by value
outside of the assignment operator)

> So it shows why the statement "..., but since C++03 can't officially detect rvalue-ness anyway that's irrelevant" is not the complete truth.

Notice the "officially" in the sentence.