Subject: Re: [boost] Formal Review: Boost.Polygon starts today August 24, 2009
From: Thomas Klimpel (Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-02 12:13:15

Bahrend Gehrels wrote:
> > I'm not sure what you mean by "basic polygon algorithm". If you could
> > qualify that phrase [snipped]
> No, I cannot qualify that phrase. You see the convex hull in most
> libraries, e.g. wykobi, and in most textbooks on geometry, and in every
> spatial database, and can be used to figure out things like diameter.
> Therefore I consider it as basic.

I raised the question whether "convex hull" is a "basic polygon algorithm", because it is not the only "basic 2D" algorithm, and I wasn't sure whether

- Delaunay triangulation
- Voronoi diagram
- Closest pair of points
- Euclidean shortest path
- Polygon triangulation

would all make their way into the requirements, if one doesn't clearly state what needs to be provided for a polygon library and what can be considered as optional.

Providing just "convex hull" is probably not really difficult, but some of the other algorithms might be more challenging.

Regards,
Thomas