Subject: Re: [boost] [pool] Thread specific pool allocator
From: James Bremner (ravenspoint_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-14 12:47:00

"Edouard A." <edouard_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Have you tried plugging the HOARD memory allocator into your program?

Yes. This provided a significant performance improvement, however it has
some serious drawbacks

  a.. I experienced some crashes during testing
  b.. Commercial licensing is expensive
  c.. It 'hooks' system calls to malloc, a technique I consider dodgy.
  d.. It is a DLL, which I avoid since they result in endless configuration
management nightmares.

> Multicore aware programming is more than a simple issue, and certainly not
> solved just by an efficient allocator (although this doesn't hurt ;) ).

Gosh! Did I suggest anything like this? However, a well designed
multithreaded program will slow down, rather than speed up, on a
multi-processor machine when the standard memory allocator is used which
took me, at least, completely by surprise and mystified me for several days.

James