Subject: Re: [boost] [pool] Thread specific pool allocator
From: Edouard A. (edouard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-14 12:25:06

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:10:45 -0400, "James Bremner" <ravenspoint_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> There is a universe of excellent libraries. However, I did not expect to

> see them resommended on this newsgroup.
>
> IMHO the standard libraries are rather perverse when used for programs to
> be
> run on multi-processor machines - which many people own today. Naive use
> of
> the STL containers, in particular, causes a multithreaded program to run
> slower on multi-processor machines.

Have you tried plugging the HOARD memory allocator into your program?

> I would like to see BOOST begin to address this issue, hence my post.

Multicore aware programming is more than a simple issue, and certainly not
solved just by an efficient allocator (although this doesn't hurt ;) ).

There is a task library under development that should help a bit regarding
efficient multi-threaded programming. I don't know what it's current status
is. When you have an efficient task scheduler, writing parallel version of
STL algorithms is easier.

Last but not least, you have Boost.STM:
http://eces.colorado.edu/~gottschl/dracoSTM/index.html

--