Subject: Re: [boost] Review Request: Boost.Itl; The Interval Template Library
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-23 08:42:00

Joachim Faulhaber wrote:

> > I'd suggest naming it either Interval
> > Set--boost::interval_set or Interval Set Library--boost::isl.
>
> after pondering for a while I tend to prefer this name
>
> Compact Associative Containers
> boost::compass

That's a highly creative name which I don't foresee its conflicting with other libraries. My only concern would be that there's no mention of "container" in that name. There's precedent for this -- Spirit, Wave, and Xpressive -- but the preponderance of library names are named directly for the functionality or are acronyms of it.

How about Minimal (or Minimized) Associative Containers (MAC)? Packed Associative Containers (PAC)?

None of those names, however, reveals the interval behaviors of your containers which are their raison d'être.

Interval-Based Associative Containers (IBAC)? Is "associative" necessary in the name: Interval-Based Containers (IBC)? Compact Interval-based Associative Containers (CIAC or CIBAC)? (Associative) Containers of Intervals ((A)CI or (A)COI)? Compact Associative Containers of/for Intervals (CACI)? Packed Associative Interval Containers (PAIC)?

Of all these ideas, I rather like CACI. The acronym is pronounceable (like khaki), and the full name is highly descriptive.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]