Subject: [boost] [task] reschedule_until
From: Baxter Jeremy (JWBAXTER_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-05 07:35:41

> Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 18:59:10 +0200
> From: k-oli_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [boost] [task]
>
> Second - I'm finishing boost.task-0.4.0 which replaces
> this_task::reschedule_until() by this_task::block().
> block() suspends the current task without blocking the
> worker-thread. The
> blocked task gets rescheduled by the internal scheduler
> (returning from
> block()):
>
> while ( ! condition)
> this_task::block();
>
> Version 0.4.0 allows to synchronize or exchange messages
> between the tasks
> without deadlocking the threadpool (that means amount of
> tasks >> worker-
> threads in pool).
>
> regards,
> Oliver

Thanks - I'll steer clear of using reschedule_until at the moment. Being
able to block a task without locking out the worker thread would be
useful for me, but I suspect my requirement may be rather different to
yours. I'm pretty much assuming amount of tasks == worker-threads in
pool. My main interest in a thread pool is to avoid creating and
destroying a new thread each time a task has to run but I suspect I may
use task or threadpool it this way initially and see what the overhead
is like.

Jeremy
The information contained in this E-Mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and is intended solely for the intended
recipient(s). The information in this communication may be
confidential and/or legally privileged. Nothing in this e-mail is
intended to conclude a contract on behalf of QinetiQ or make QinetiQ
subject to any other legally binding commitments, unless the e-mail
contains an express statement to the contrary or incorporates a formal Purchase Order.

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance
on such information is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Emails and other electronic communication with QinetiQ may be
monitored and recorded for business purposes including security, audit
and archival purposes. Any response to this email indicates consent
to this.

Telephone calls to QinetiQ may be monitored or recorded for quality
control, security and other business purposes.

QinetiQ Limited
Registered in England & Wales: Company Number:3796233
Registered office: 85 Buckingham Gate, London SW1E 6PD, United Kingdom
Trading address: Cody Technology Park, Cody Building, Ively Road, Farnborough, Hampshire, GU14 0LX, United Kingdom
http://www.qinetiq.com/home/notices/legal.html