Subject: Re: [boost] [MPI?] which API should i use for this?
From: John Phillips (phillips_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-08 12:18:02

David M. Cotter wrote:
> I have a need to send an "event" to the "main thread's event loop".
>
> this may be done from a preemptive thread, a cooperative thread, a
> timer, or even the main thread itself. i want it to be posted into the
> event stream and handled in the order that events get processed on the
> main thread.
>
> would i use 'MPI'? or 'interprocess'? or is there a 'thread' way to do
> this?
> if it's MPI, what would be the right call?
>
> i'm coming from Mac land where i have traditionally used
> PostEventToQueue()

   David,

   I'll let others who know other libraries better than I talk about
them, but I would suggest against MPI for this. The goal of MPI is
cluster computing, and that does not seem to be what you are doing. I
could come up with a way to write this in boost.MPI, but I don't think
it would be a good way.

                        John