Subject: Re: [boost] Name of namespace detail
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-13 09:11:48

Mateusz Loskot wrote:

> Recently, I've participated in a very interesting discussion, on ACCU
> members mailing list, about prefixes and suffixes like Base
> or _base nad
> Impl or _impl, as misused, irrelevant and confusing, meaningless, etc.
> For example, how to properly name elements of PIMPL idiom and similar.

As has been noted, if a class is a private, implementation detail, then some naming convention for that purpose is useful. I've seen "IC" used as a prefix to mean "implementation class." I've seen "Impl" or "_impl" as a suffix for the same purpose. These names indicate that they are not for library client use, even if they happen to be visible.

> During the discussion I suggested that 'detail' is a good name for
> namespace dedicated to implementation details being not a
> part of public
> interface of a component. I got answer that it as the same
> issues (it's
> meaningless) as Impl etc.

While I've never been comfortable with "detail" and greatly prefer "details," the point is that it is a namespace, nested within another, more meaningfully named namespace, that holds implementation details that should be ignored by those using the enclosing namespace. There's no need for a name with any more meaning than that in many cases.

However, it is quite reasonable to nest other namespaces within detail(s) in order to segregate details, all related to the outer namespace, by purpose. That is, if there are too many unrelated implementation details in the foo::details namespace, then foo::details should be subdivided.

> It raised some questions for myself, being interested in improving my
> craft, I would like to learn better about the name of
> namespace detail.
> I use detail name myself. Any better names for bucket with
> implementation details?

Any time there is value in grouping things by a categorical name, do so. However, when those are implementation details of something else that should be visible to clients, then those details should be in a namespace like "details" to set them apart.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]