Subject: Re: [boost] [conversion] Motivation for two NEW generic conver_to and assign_to functions
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-26 14:11:16

Hi,
----- Original Message -----
From: "vicente.botet" <vicente.botet_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:01 PM

> Hi,

I have modified the convert_to implementation with your suggestions (see below) and now we can do:

    B b;

    A a1 (convert_to(b, type_tag<A>() ));

The user can add overloading on the namespace of the class From, or specialize the boost::conversion::convert_to function.

I have defined the tag with a defaulted parameter value type_tag<Target> tag=type_tag<Target>(), so we can also do

    A a1 (convert_to<A>(b));

I have added still an overloading to simplify some uses as

    a = convert_to(b, a);

The Target parameter is not used other than to retrieve the type.

    template <typename Target, typename Source>
    Target convert_to(Source const& from, Target const&);

What do you think? Does this interface satisfy your expectations?

Best,
Vicente
_______________________________
namespace boost {
    template <typename T>
    struct type_tag {};

    namespace conversion {
        template < typename To, typename From >
       To convert_to(const From& val, type_tag<To>) {
            return To(val);
       }
    }
}

namespace boost_conversion_impl {
    template <typename Target, typename Source>
    Target convert_to_impl(Source const& from) {
        using namespace boost::conversion;
        //use boost::conversion::convert_to if ADL fails
        return convert_to(from, boost::type_tag<Target>());
    }
}

namespace boost {
    template <typename Target, typename Source>
    Target convert_to(Source const& from, type_tag<Target> tag=type_tag<Target>()) {
        return ::boost_conversion_impl::convert_to_impl<Target>(from);
    }