Subject: Re: [boost] [system][filesystem v3] Question about error_code arguments
From: Michael Caisse (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-26 18:48:49

Peter Foelsche wrote:

> "Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>> A POSIX sub-group is looking at C++ bindings for POSIX.
>>
>> They are talking about a filesystem library binding at least loosely
>> based on Boost.System, Boost.Filesystem, and C++ TR2.
>>
>> In looking at
>> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2009/n2838.html,
>> "Library Support for Hybrid Error Handling (Rev 2)", they are
>> concerned about specifying hybrid error handling like this:
>

> What is the sense of a C++ interface, which does not throw on error?
> I think meanwhile (this is 2009) we should be over the "I hate C++
> Exception Handling" thinking.

Some systems do not have exception handling (some embedded for example)
and interfaces for libraries that want to be used in such environments
need to not mandate it. Granted, an embedded system of that sort
likely wont use a filesystem lib either ... but the point is
valid for libraries as a whole.

Additionally, see Christopher Kohlhoff's response to this thread
which enumerates some excellent reasons. I think his email is "spot on".

Best regards -
michael

--
Michael Caisse