Subject: Re: [boost] [system][filesystem v3] Question about error_codearguments
From: Peter Foelsche (peter_foelsche_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-26 19:05:13

"Christopher Kohlhoff" <chris_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> supports both throwing and non-throwing modes. From the compiler's
> point of view, any calling code must also support exceptions and so a
> space and/or time cost is paid for unwinding, even if it is not
> required.

Socket functions may always run into errors.
These errors cannot be ignored,
since all the following code is based on, that the socket operation was
successful.
Can you give me a socket example, which can not result in an error?
Creating a listening socket may fail, because of the port is already in use
(this assumes that there is no need to seperately export
socket/bind/listen).
Creating a socket which connects to some well known address may also fail.
Reading and writing from/to a socket may fail with an error, because the
socket was closed on the other end.

> I have had some Asio users complain that I have left out some
> non-throwing overloads.

I guess this are the same programmers, which use fixed-sized buffers.