Subject: Re: [boost] [system][filesystem v3] Questionabout error_codearguments
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-27 10:05:39

Peter Foelsche wrote:
> "Michael Caisse" <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>
> >> You are the author of the asio library in boost?
> >> With this kind of thinking, how did you get this position?
> > Such an attitude will not get you very far in this
> > community. Any point you might try to make will get lost
> > in the immaturity. Such banter just shows your inexperience
> > with reactionary systems.
> >
> > I suspect you have a point you would like to make about
> > the interface. If you keep the personal attacks out of the
> > statement you will be more clearly heard.
>
> His statement showing missing experience,
> that I think my post was fully fitting the circumstances.

You assume he has little experience because he has different ideas than you? That's rather narrow minded. Isn't it possible that his experience is more extensive than your own and has led to different conclusions?

> I think exploitation of C++ Exception Handling after 1996
> with Windows and
> OS/2 Compilers and much later on UNIXs is such a step
> forward, that I cannot
> in good concience leave such a statement unanswered.

The problem is not that you have a contrary opinion. It is that you state it by belittling Christopher and anyone else who disagrees with you. Had you written something akin to, the following, you'd have started a dialogue rather than irked the community:

"You're the author of Boost.Asio, right? I'm surprised. In my experience, exceptions are the most appropriate means to report errors in such a library because...."

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]