Subject: Re: [boost] [system][filesystem v3] Question abouterror_code arguments
From: David Bergman (David.Bergman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-27 13:12:45

On Oct 27, 2009, at 12:50 PM, Peter Foelsche wrote:

> "Stewart, Robert" <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote in message news:DF2E67F3D097004694C8428C70A3FD69046F260E64_at_[hidden]
>
>> Others noted embedded environments -- very important today -- but
>> let's look at a broader case.
>
> I was talking about C++.
> C++ includes exception handling.
> C++ without exception handling does not make any sense,
> as one cannot perform a fallible resource allocation inside a
> constructor.

There is no official recommendation for the language in-between EC++
and C++ - C++ minus exception handling - AFAIK, but it is no secret
that Boost is targeting that "language" as well, and also C++/CLI to
some extent.

Strange as it might seem, quite sensical programs have been created in
this unnamed language, even though one cannot use the sometimes nifty
feature of throwing in a constructor. So, I fail to see how it "does
not make any sense."

/David