Subject: Re: [boost] Boost policy for putting headers in boost/ Was: #3541Support <boost/ptr_map.hpp>
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-28 14:01:55

>> A header such as boost/libname/foo.hpp is only consistent if
>> libname is monolithic (does not comprise of smaller modules or
>> sub-libraries). IMHO, that is good only for small libraries.
>
> Works for MPL. Nobody ever wonders where to find anything in MPL.

Having just included a bunch of mpl header without looking at the manual
once, I agree with that. And no I don't happen to have the names memorized
(!), I just thought... "I wonder if the #includes are logical enough that
they're called boost/mpl/and.hpp" so I tried it and it all worked first time
:-)

That said there may be a case to be made for splitting into sub-libraries -
we did that with Boost.Math to avoid confusion between a distribution called
X and a special function called X. Non-the-less I hope the divisions are
obvious enough that most people won't need to look at the manual.

So +1 for a mpl/type_traits style of organization from me too,

Completely biased yours, John.