Subject: Re: [boost] [optional] layout
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-28 14:12:38

Domagoj Saric wrote:

> ...for example:
> 1.
> template <class Data, class Widget>
> class DataWithUI : public Data
> {
> void createUI();
> void destroyUI();
> boost::optional<Widget> ui;
> }
>
> where ui is always created after data and always destroyed before data...and
> there are many such pairs...

Make createUI the constructor and destroyUI the destructor.

> if all uis are created and destroyed at the same
> time (for example with/by their parent) there is no need to track their
> lifetime individually hence no need for the individual bools for each
> "optional" ui...

That's a good point. You initialize things in groups so you don't need a
boolean per thing.
The solution is easy: instead of a structure of optional things, make an
optional structure of things; you transform N booleans into one, as
expected.

> 2. you have fusion containers of non default constructible objects and/or
> objects that you cannot construct all at once (a trivial example: one of the
> parameters to the constructor of the objects is the order/index of the object
> in the fusion container)

You know what position a tuple element is going to be in before
initializing the tuple, surely.

> but need to, for example, construct them in a
> loop...so you wrap that fusion container and ensure proper
> construction/initialization and complete destruction in the
> constructor/destructor of the wrapper - this then gives you single
> deterministic points of construction and destruction (for all the contained
> objects) making the individual bools redundant...

Well, first, I don't think this is so easy. Are you taking into account
that constructing the subsequent elements might throw, and that you
therefore need to destruct the previous ones?

Otherwise, I don't understand that point, since tuples and loops aren't
exactly things that go well together.

Maybe you meant something else than tuples when you were talking of
fusion containers?

> 3. the simple bool/true-false lifetime management is not enough for a
> situation, e.g. you have a reference counted singleton...then the following
> source code:
> boost::optional<Singleton> singleton;
> if ( !ref_count++ )
> singleton = boost::in_place();
>
> will actually produce the following binary code
> if ( !ref_count++ )
> {
> if ( singleton.is_initialized() )
> ~singleton();
> singleton = boost::in_place();
> }
>
> with similar redundancy in the destructor...

shared_ptr already provides delayed construction, I don't see why you
would want to use optional here?
Because you want to store the memory in static memory maybe? For that,
just use boost::aligned_storage and placement new, works with shared_ptr
like the rest just fine.