Subject: Re: [boost] New boost packaging suggestion for windows
From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-28 22:54:19

On 10/28/2009 04:34 PM, Julian Bangert wrote:

> > I wonder whether there is still any thought or even effort spent on
> > breaking boost up into individual components that can be built, tested,
> > and ultimately also packaged separately. Any news on that ?
>
> Well, a lot of Linux distributions already have this ( all the
> libboost- packages in debian for examples ) . In W32 it is possible
> even with BoostPro and in my distribution you can selectively extract
> libs.

See, this is precisely the problem: Each platform uses a different
mechanism. This is not acceptable for boost users who may target
different platforms, as there is no uniform way to describe the
dependency on boost.
Imagine how wonderful a world would be in which boost.org itself would
define the package structure, which then would be adopted by all the
different platforms / distributions.
Add to that the lack of forward / backward compatibility between
individual boost releases, and you have got a total maintenance nightmare.

Am I the only one who finds this extremely hard to work with ?

         Stefan