Subject: Re: [boost] New boost packaging suggestion for windows
From: Julian Bangert (jbangert_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-28 16:34:41

Hello,

> Sadly, the only point being discussed so far is the online registration.
> What I find to be at least as annoying is the size of the package. And
> by that I'm not (only) referring to the memory or bandwidth. The most
> important issue is the burden of having to deal with such an amount of
> data, even if I'm only interested into a relatively small part of boost.

My package contains everything in one archive. These 37MB offer quite
good compression and you can choose what you wish to extract.
> I wonder whether there is still any thought or even effort spent on
> breaking boost up into individual components that can be built, tested,
> and ultimately also packaged separately. Any news on that ?
>
> Thanks,
> Stefan

Well, a lot of Linux distributions already have this ( all the libboost-
packages in debian for examples ) . In W32 it is possible even with
BoostPro and in my distribution you can selectively extract libs.

Tell me if this is wanted/appreciated and I can write a GUI frontend to
automatically install components.
I just uploaded the files to 2 sites for distribution, at least one of
which should be up at any given time:
1) ( the mirror, but the preferred location )
http://boost-win-bin.googlecode.com/files/boost_1_40_0-vc9-preview.7z*
2) ( main site, but not on a good machine)
https://obliviononline.com/pub/boost/
*After a few people confirm that this works for them they should be
considered stable and I would build for other C versions as well. Then
they could also be mentioned in getting started.
*
*Thanks, Julian Bangert

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4553 (20091028) __________

http://www.eset.com