Subject: Re: [boost] New boost packaging suggestion for windows
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-04 22:08:43

on Wed Oct 28 2009, Stefan Seefeld <seefeld-AT-sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 10/28/2009 11:34 AM, Julian Bangert wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> yesterday I tried to download the boostpro binaries for windows and I had to
>> download over a gigabyte to get all configurations for VS 2008.
>
> Sadly, the only point being discussed so far is the online registration. What I find
> to be at least as annoying is the size of the package. And by that I'm not (only)
> referring to the memory or bandwidth. The most important issue is the burden of having
> to deal with such an amount of data, even if I'm only interested into a relatively
> small part of boost.

Huh? Admittedly the headers are all-or-nothing, but the Boostpro
installer lets you choose exactly the binaries you're interested in.

> I wonder whether there is still any thought or even effort spent on breaking boost up
> into individual components that can be built, tested, and ultimately also packaged
> separately. Any news on that ?

I'm hoping Troy can give us a public report on the modularization
effort. Troy?

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com
BoostPro Computing