Subject: Re: [boost] [1.41.0] Release branch open for low-risk merges
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-05 13:51:27

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
>> branches\release is open for low-risk merges.
>>
>> Use your own judgment as to what "low-risk" is, but as always
>> stability on trunk is one of the criteria.
>>
>> Towards the middle of next week we will take a look at where we stand
>> as far as the freeze for final release. We can always decide to do a
>> second beta, too. But please do any outstanding merges as soon as you
>> are sure they are stable, rather than waiting until the last moment.
>
>> Use your own judgment as to what "low-risk" is, but as always
>> stability on trunk is one of the criteria.
>
> At this point, I think that you're judgement should be the
> determinant as to what "low risk" is. If I were you, I would lock the
> release
> branch to make sure you absolutely know about each of
> of these cases.  But then you're not me so you can
> do it the way you want.

I'm afraid that would make the process too unwieldy. For example, I'm
going to be out-of-town Saturday, Sunday, and part of Monday, and
wouldn't be able to respond to requests to merge. And I really would
like to encourage developers to fix warnings for 1.41.0. John's report
of "an 11 Mb log file from the build, with 133 THOUSAND LINES of
output" worried me.

--Beman