Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] GGL review starts today, November 5th
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-06 07:29:13

Behalf Of
> Hartmut Kaiser
> Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2009 2:20 PM
> To: boost-announce_at_[hidden]; boost_at_[hidden];
boost-users_at_[hidden]
> Subject: [boost] [Review] GGL review starts today, November 5th

> Please always state in your review, whether you think the library should be
accepted as a Boost library.

Yes.

It is mature, refined, has a user base (including a commercial product - a good
sign), and is well documented.

(Although Boost has recently accepted another somewhat similar library, I have
no hesitation in recommending accepting both. They are sufficiently orthogonal
- one very generic, one problem focussed. Users can decide which suits them
best.)

> Feedback on the following general topics:

> - What is your evaluation of the design?

Generic. Extendable.

Looks nice. (And this usually indicates quality code!). Test package looks
plausible.

Excellent. Looks very nice. Only an index is missing - but extensive
Doxygenation including Doxygen comments are far above what passes for
documentation in many packages.

There are many fine examples.

I noted that only VS 2008 Express edition was mentioned. I feel sure that
someone has used the 'Standard' version with full optimisation. And perhaps the
VS 2010 beta? The latter may be especially useful if it overcomes the
difficulty Intellisense has in handling such a complex package without its
intelligence circuits melting ;-)

> - What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?

Invaluable in many problem domains.

> - Did you try to use the library? No.

> - How much effort did you put into your evaluation?

 A quick read of documentation and glance at examples.

> - Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?

Negligibly.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow