Subject: Re: [boost] Official warnings policy?
From: Phil Richards (news_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-09 11:09:48

On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 09:36 -0500, Stewart, Robert wrote:
> Patrick Horgan wrote:
> > Phil Richards wrote:
[with regards to #pragma GCC system_header being potentially too
encompasing]
> >> Problem easily solved. In boost test builds using gcc use
> > -Wsystem-headers to turn the warnings back on.
> That's too broad in effect. It would enable warnings in headers
> that one doesn't want to hear from including, I suspect, those
> provided by the platform.

Yep, it would.

> The best approach likely is a library specific mechanism that,
> by default, honors a Boost-wide config to disable warnings
> using #pragma GCC system_header.

I think that any such mechanism would need to be wrapped with
a BOOST_TESTED_AT(...) to make sure that real warnings highlighted by
new versions of the compiler didn't sneak through. It isn't reasonable
to assume that the library author will immediately test all new GCC
releases with the pragma disabled.

Phil

--
Phil Richards, <news_at_[hidden]>