Subject: Re: [boost] GGL Review
From: Brandon Kohn (blkohn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-16 14:23:05

Hartmut Kaiser wrote:
>> Brandon Kohn wrote:
>
>> There
>> are many buggy floating point boolean op libraries out there. Why do we
>> need another?
>
> I would like to ask you to refrain from spreading FUD with regards to the
> library under review without any concrete proof.

I don't think this is a fair appraisal of my statements. It is common
knowledge in computational geometry that floating point operations in
boolean operations (orientation tests, intersections...) are inherently
flawed and so in the absence of any proof by the authors that they have
attempted to compensate I think it is justified to bring up these
points. There has been some insinuation in recent posts that the GGL
Boolean Ops could be used to perform floating point boolean operations
as a proxy for Boost.Polygon. Such a usage would require that we know if
  the implementation actually works. It wasn't intended as a personal
attack on GGL.

Brandon