Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost.Locale] For Preliminary Review of Boost Community (with Full documentation)
From: Artyom (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-16 14:28:48

Hello,

> I have used QT's localization features before, and really
> liked them.
> This was something I really missed since I am working with
> std strings, but it seems that your locale lib is au-par
> with what Qt has to offer.

Generally Qt model is very similar to GNU Gettext. So if you are
familiar with Qt one you should really feel at home with Gettext.

There also plenty of gool tranlsation toolkits for Gettext.

> Maybe one could even make it compatible with QT .ts/.qm
> files one day, so that one could use the fine QtLinguist
> Tools. (I have never used the gettext tools)

Generally, nothing prevents adding support of Qt .ts/.qm.
Because there no limitations on kind of dictionary to use.

However there are two important points:

1. Direct support of .ts files requires usage of XML parser.
   There is no such tool in Boost today. So it is kind of
   showstopper.

   This is the one of primary reasons I do not support XLIFF,
   which is "approved" standard localization format.

2. I couldn't find (at least in quite short time I tryed to)
   and reference on ".qm" binary file format. So if you have any
   reference to good documentation of .qm file format, you
   are more then welcome to forward it to me and I would see
   what I can do (also patches are welcome ;-) ).

   Also, using Qt classes directly for this purpose is not
   feasable for Boost, because Qt license is not compatible with
   boost.

In any case take a look on:
http://cppcms.sourceforge.net/boost_locale/docs/index.html#questions-and-answers

and