Subject: Re: [boost] Another GGL review
From: Jonathan Franklin (franklin.jonathan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-17 17:56:06

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Simonson, Lucanus J
<lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> It is exactly because it is important that I don't want to rush it.

How long would you estimate it takes to get the interface right? It
seems like that is really the piece that needs to be enterprise class
at this point (or at least, when first introduced).

> To my way of thinking the polygon clipping is the killer app that GGL would provide.

Yes, I can see this being a killer app for many use-cases, which makes
GGL very useful to many, even without a spatial index.

> Spatial indexing could be a killer app too, if done well.

It seems like a reference implementation, based on a well-known
algorithm (i.e. some R-tree variant), would not be that difficult to
get right. It may not be enterprise class, but would allow the
authors to get the interface right, and the users to solve many
problems in nlogn time, instead of quadratic.

If I can then later plug in my own spatial index, that is tweaked for
highly-dimensional data, then I will truly be a happy camper.

Jon