Subject: Re: [boost] Another GGL review
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-17 20:12:40

Jonathan Franklin wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Simonson, Lucanus J
> <lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> It is exactly because it is important that I don't want to rush it.
>
> How long would you estimate it takes to get the interface right? It
> seems like that is really the piece that needs to be enterprise class
> at this point (or at least, when first introduced).

In the context of a Boost library we would surely expect the interface
to a spatial index to be quite similar to the interfaces to std::
containers, so there are quite a few interface design decisions that
are non-issues. In my experience, the only significant novelty in the
interface is how to represent 2D ranges (i.e. to iterate over the
points in a rectangle); a range2d type that takes a reference to the
container and its bounds and provides a similar interface as the
container itself has worked for me.

(Luke, I'd be interested to know if your indexes differ significantly
from this.)

Phil.