Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] GGL review starts today, November 5th
From: Michael Fawcett (michael.fawcett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-19 15:25:55

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Brandon Kohn <blkohn_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> The term 'envelope' is used to refer to what I
> believe is known in the literature as an axis-aligned bounding box. This may
> come down to stylistic preference, but I would expect a Boost.Geometry to
> have a higher level of fidelity in the nomenclature.

FWIW, in GIS, "envelope" *is* the common term. I had a gaming
background before moving into GIS so I too was more familiar with AABB
than with envelope.

Perhaps these higher level constructs should be in their own
namespace, with terminology based on target domain. The underlying
implementation could be the commonly accepted mathematical/academic
term. Something like

boost::gis envelope(const T &geometry); // forwards to minimum_bounding_rect
boost::gfx aabb(const T &geometry); // forwards to minimum_bounding_rect

--Michael Fawcett