Subject: Re: [boost] Shouldn't both logging proposals be reviewed in the same formal review?
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-20 08:42:43

Hartmut Kaiser wrote:
> > Joachim Faulhaber wrote:
> > >
> > > I suggest, for the case of competing libraries, that the
> > > contributors are
> > > supposed to review the opponent's library but to refrain
> > > from voting.
> >
> > +1 (I was already thinking the same.)
> >
> > If a competitor votes, the review manager should ignore it,
> > of course.
>
> Why should the review manager ignore a YES vote of an author
> of a competing library?

Your question gave me pause, but I stand by my assertion. A competitor will be biased against the competition, so will typically be more negative than an objective reviewer. Hence, a no vote must be discounted on that basis. Knowing that, however, a fair competitor may be inclined to vote yes or tip the scale unduly in favor of the competing library to avoid the appearance of being unfair or biased, rather than because the competing library deserves to be accepted. A vote either way, from a competitor, is uncertain and should be discounted relative to purportedly unbiased reviews from those not authoring a library under review.

We have said that competitors should be required to submit a review because of their domain knowledge and because of the comparative judgments it is likely to contain. The review manager can use the information from such reviews to assist in deciding among the submissions. Any voting, however, is not trustworthy.

Note that the foregoing in no way necessitates simultaneous reviews, but should apply when competing libraries are in the review queue. If a potential competitor has yet to submit a library for review, then the foregoing doesn't apply, though it would be appropriate for that reviewer to disclose their own competing efforts.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]